18-year-old girl died after her mobile phone exploded while she was talking on it

0
320

An 18-year-old girl from Odisha, India has been killed by her smartphone after it exploded when she talked on the phone while charging it. 

According to The New Indian Express, Uma Oram was using her phone before it exploded. Before the tragedy took place, she was seen talking on the phone with her relative when she noticed that the battery was draining so she plugged it in to charge.

The teenage girl then continued talking on the phone while charging it. Her brother Durga Prasad Oram said: ‘As the battery of the mobile phone was draining out, she plugged it for charging while talking over it simultaneously.

“The cell phone… was put on charging when she started talking to a relative.”

Not long after she plugged it in, the mobile phone suddenly exploded. She was rushed to the hospital where the doctors discovered that the explosion caused severe burn injuries to her hands, chest and leg

Unfortunately, she was declared dead at the hospital.  “Before we could know what exactly happened, Uma fell unconscious. She was declared dead at the hospital,” her brother said.

Pictures of the damaged phone show that the phone model seems to appear as Nokia 5233 which was released in 2010. Uma’s family has demanded for a compensation from the phone manufacturer as they were told that the phone was just launched last year

However, Daily Mail reported that HMD Global, the home of Nokia phones denied their claim. A spokesperson for HMD Global said:  “We are deeply saddened to hear of the unfortunate incident involving a 19-year-old girl that has been reported.

“While we have not been able to independently verify the facts of any of these reports, we can confirm that the mobile phone in question was not manufactured or sold by HMD Global, the new home of Nokia phones, set up in December 2016 to create a new range of Nokia devices.

“As HMD Global, we are committed to producing high-quality handsets which deliver a strong user experience and meet high customer expectations.”

The police are currently investigating the accident and Uma’s body has been sent for a post-mortem.

Whether or not your mobile phone is a new model, it is never a good idea to use it when plugging it to charge but there are many people who choose to ignore this precaution. This tragedy serves as a lesson for us to never use a mobile phone while charging it.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here