Often times when we buy fresh ingredients, we usually use the parts we are familiar with or what the recipe calls for. Anything other than that will go into the trash but in fact, there are multiple uses for parts of the ingredients people normally consider to be scraps. This includes roots, skins and stalks of fresh ingredients.
What may be considered scraps, can actually be salvaged and here is how:
1. Corn hairMost of us who prepare corn on the cob at home will be prompted to remove the hair from the ingredient because they provide no flavor and only serve to get in the way of consumption. The hair will likely end up wedged between your teeth and you’ll have to go through the hassle of getting them out, therefore most people will pluck them out beforehand.
The corn hair which most consider to be scraps, actually has immense health benefits. It can prevent gallstones and lower blood pressure. All you need to do is to wash the hair thoroughly and boil it in water. After the water has come to a boil, you can toss out the hair and drink it’s extracts.
2. Cilantro rootsCilantro roots are known to have good nutritional benefits and can cure certain heart diseases. Consuming it can help in optimizing your heart and spleen’s function because it has the ability to detoxify your body.
The way you prepare the roots is by washing them thoroughly to get rid of the sand and dirt. Put it in some water and bring to a boil. You should let the water boil for approximately 15 minutes and then drink the liquid.
3. Spring onion rootsNot many people are aware of this but the roots of a spring onion can help in lowering the body temperature of a person who has come down with a fever. Besides that, the roots contain anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It can also be used to cure the flu and sinus issues.
All you have to do is to prepare 4 to 5 roots by washing them thoroughly and placing them in a vat of boiling water. Let the roots cook for 15 to 20 minutes and then you can add brown sugar to counteract the bitter taste. If you drink this concoction regularly, you will be able to feel it’s effects before long.
4. Cabbage rootCabbage roots are the toughest part of the vegetable and therefore it is seldom used in dishes. What many people don’t realize is tat this although it is harder than the rest of the vegetable, it is perfectly edible. All you have to do is to cook it for a little bit longer for it to be tender enough to eat.
5. Radish skinOur first instinct when cooking radishes is to remove the skin and toss it into the trash. This is a waste considering that radish skins can help to overcome bloating and joint pains especially in the heel area.
You will need to boil the skins for a minute place them on your stomach to relieve feeling bloated. You will need to do this 3 times a day for a couple of days in order to feel better. In order to cure pain int he heel, the preparation is the same. The only difference is that you need to place the radish skins on your heel and wrap it up with a cloth bandage. Replace the skin at 5 hour intervals and you will feel as good as new in a few days.
6. 5 roots soup
This recipe for 5 roots soup can cure high fever. You will need 5 cabbage roots, cilantro roots, celery roots, spring onion roots and chive roots. Boil all the ingredients for 20 minutes and drink the water. This will cool the body and subsequently bring down the fever.
7. Orange skinOranges have anti-aging properties. Orange rinds in particular can be used to whiten skin and teeth as well as help in reducing weight and bring down cholesterol levels.
It can also cure motion sickness and the way you can do that is by prepping the orange rinds this way. Dry the orange rinds in the sun and before you get in a vehicle, take a deep breath with the orange skins held to your nose. This will help cure the feeling of nausea and dizziness.
8. Balinese lemon skinCut and dry the white part of the lemon skin. Then set it out to dry. The dried lemon skins can be placed around the house or in rooms to keep the air fragrant and remove bad odors.
9. Banana skinTo overcome dry and cracked skin problems which occur mainly on the hands and feet, you could try applying banana skin to these areas. Do this daily and your skin will regain it’s moisture in no time.
10. Melon skinCut the watermelon skin into small pieces and apply it to areas where you experienced sunburn. Place it on the skin and replace it every 10 minutes to relieve the skin.
11. Fruit skin stewPrepare 18 grams of milk melon skin, 18 grams of watermelon skin, 18 grams of chrysanthemum roots, 12 grams of corn hair and 9 grams of black beans. Place all these ingredients into boiling water and let it cook for 10 minutes. The water from this concoction can be drunk in order to treat kidney disease and swelling in the limbs.