One unfortunate mother from Texas lost her child after she left him unattended for a few minutes. According to Fox 35 News, the mother had placed the 9-month-old-infant in the bathtub.
However, she had to leave the bathroom for a short while after getting distracted, unaware of the potential danger she was putting her son in. She returns after a few minutes, only to find him face down in the water-filled tub.
An emergency call was made and authorities rushed to the house in Harris County, Mission Bend North area. Unfortunately, it was too late for action as the child was unresponsive and unconscious to the attempts made by the emergency team.
He was rushed to the Texas Children’s Hospital immediately, where the doctors pronounced him dead.
It turns out this wasn’t the first drowning case reported in recent times.
A 9-month-old boy has drowned in a bathtub after Texas deputies say the child's mother got distracted.https://t.co/uQ9Ssmetb9
— Fox 35 News (@Fox35News) July 8, 2019
A six-week-old twin baby was found dead in the tub after his mother had fallen asleep while bathing him. The infant, Samuel Symonds was found unresponsive and under the water when the mom woke up.
His twin was taken in by Child Protective Services momentarily before he was returned to his parents. This incident happened in March, coincidentally with another case of drowning.
Eve Blankenfeld, a 3-year-old girl was left alone in the bathroom when her mother went out of her sight to tend to two other children in the house. When she returned, she found her daughter lying face down in the tub.
The mother tried to perform CPR after having called the emergency line. The girl was rushed to a hospital in Fort Worth but she passed away a few days later.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, drowning was the leading cause of unintentional deaths among children ages 1 to 4 in 2012.
From 2006 to 2010, there were 684 incidents involving children younger than 5 years old, according to a report by the commission. That includes 434 deaths.
More than four in five of the incidents took place in bathtubs or involved bath-related products, with pools being the second leading location for child drownings.
“Just as with pools, I urge parents and caregivers to childproof their home and constantly supervise young children around bathtubs, bath seats, and buckets. Taking extra safety steps at home can help prevent a tragic drowning,” said Inez Tenenbaum, chairman of the commission.
Always keep an eye on children at all times, especially the little ones.